22 April, 2013

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: Not A Book Review

At the beginning of this semester, in January, I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for a class. I was very excited to read a contemporary novel in a class and I just knew I'd be dying to review it. About 3 months later, that review hasn't happened. So what did happen?



I didn't love it. I didn't hate it. I was a good book, but that's all I have to say about it. It is outside of my normal genre, but that shouldn't mean I can't review it. I have, in the past, reviewed novels of all different types, so why not this one?

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is about a journalist, Blomkvist, who is called to an island by a rich, old company head. His formal reason for being on the island is to write Mr. Vanger's biography. In reality, Mr. Vanger has asked Blomkvist to use his investigative techniques to look for the person who killed his granddaughter, Harriet. In the course of thinks Ms. Salander comes to work with Blomkvist and the two find a few too many skeletons in the closets of the Vanger family.

This book really didn't make me have any lasting feelings. It sounds enthralling, and it is. The beginning is kind of miserable because of the vast amount of exposition and the lack of action, but it's survivable  When the action picks up, the action is fun. I felt satisfied with the climax and resolution and the ending is perfect for a sequel. These are the types of books I love, surprising, well-developed, and well-written. But this one just didn't do it for me. I don't know why, but I simply do not and have not felt moved to review or even write about this book.

Perhaps you've had better luck with this novel or series. Have you read this book/series? What did you think? Did it make you feel anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment